|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of The Hall, a post medieval stable, and a modern dovecote|
This is the site of a post medieval great house. The Hall was probably built during the 17th and 18th centuries and burnt down in 1955. A modern house now stands on its site and the surviving cellars are used as outbuildings. The surviving stable block may have originally built as a barn in the 15th, 16th or 17th centuries, before a brick coating was added and it was converted to stables during the 18th century. During the 1980s the stable was refurbished as a house. A 1930s dovecote and horse training ring by Lancelot Smith are also present.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0047 8220|
|Parish:||GARBOLDISHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Sketch map of Garboldisham before 1776 including the location of the Hall (S13).
H. Mellor (HES), 16 September 2015.
Site of Hall or Old Hall, burnt down 1955.
Stated to have been Jacobean and Queen Anne. Modern house stands on fragments of walls, cellars etc all apparently of 18th century date. Also dovecote and horse ring by Lancelot Smith about 1930.
Stables are 18th century coating in brick, of queenpost or 'raised aisled barn' timber structure; two bays only remain plus
slightly later extension with braced tiebeams. Date could be anywhere from 15th to 17th century. Derelict, to be converted to house.
See report (S1) in file. Not listed.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 April 1988.
See file for further details (S3), architects plans 1988 (S2) and photographs (S4).
November-December 2007. Desk-Based Assessment: Archive interpretation and Site Visit.
Garboldisham appears in the Domesday Book (S6) as 'Gerbodesham', which is an Old English name meaning 'Gaerbald's homestead or village.' In 1086 the manor was held by King William I and freemen, smallholders, slaves, ploughs, meadow and pigs were recorded (S5). Crisp Montgomerie purchased the Garboldisham Estate in 1734 from the successor of Sir Edmund Bacon. The Hall is believed to be the birthplace of John Winston Spencer Churchill, later the Duke of Marlborough, and the 1840 enclosure award still lists the Duke of Marlborough amongst the landowners. The estate passed from the Montgomery family after the death of Major E.F. Molineux-Montgomerie in 1917 and subsequently the estate was broken up. The Hall burnt down in 1954 (S7), and was demolished in 1955.
A 1776 Road Act includes a stylised elevation of the Hall while the plan of the grounds and outbuildings are clearly visible on the tithe map (S10). The Hall is also depicted in elevation on Faden's 1797 map (S8) of Norfolk and in plan on Bryant's 1826 map (S9). 1946 aerial photographs reveal that the building had a half H-shaped layout and was surrounded by formal grounds.
A visit to the site on 10 December noted that the 19th century wash house remains in good repair and the walls of the detached kitchen which served the Hall (noted in 1988) survive to a height of 0.35m.
See report (S5) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 7 March 2008.
June-November 2008. Watching brief.
No archaeological finds or features were encountered during the watching brief.
See report (S11) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S12).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 September 2009.
- BARN (14th Century to 16th Century - 1400 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (16th Century to 17th Century - 1540 AD to 1700 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (16th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1600 AD to 1955 AD)
- STABLE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1930 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 SW 6. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 348. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S4>||Photograph: EGL 2-5, EXN 15-16. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2007. Report on a Desk-Based Assessment at The Hall, Manor Road, Garboldisham, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB105R. |
|<S6>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: 1954. Eastern Daily Press. 22 September. 22 September. |
|<S8>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S9>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S10>||Map: 1840. Tithe Award Map. |
|<S11>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2009. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at The Hall, Manor Road, Garboldisham, Norfolk. Chris Birks Archaeological Services. CB160R. |
|<S12>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Hoggett, R. 2010. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2009. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLVI Pt I pp 135-147. p 139. |
|<S13>||Illustration: Unknown. Unknown. Sketch map of Garboldisham before 1776.. Film. 1:10560. |
Related records - none
Find out more...