Record Details

NHER Number:5446
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval wind pump


A post medieval wind pump located at this site was later converted into a house. The wind pump was replaced by a steam pump in 1838 or 1843 and upgraded in 1880 with a vertical steam pump. The house was demolished in 1926 and an oil powered pump installed in a corrugated iron pumphouse. This was replaced with the brick pump station that now stands on the site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 6507 8689
Map Sheet:TL68NE

Full description

February 1981. Visit. Engine House (Ordnance Survey).
Originally a windpump; [1], occupant of adjacent cottage showed photographs to E. Rose (NAU) - these were intended to be donated to proposed Southery Drainage Museum - showing remains of this converted to a house, with first floor entrance from flood bank, after a steam engine erected beside it in 1843. Base of wheelpit remains in garden, with brick outline of wheel. Steam engine and tall chimney. Demolished 1926 and replaced by corrugated iron pumphouse (ruins remain). Now a large modern brick pumping station in action.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 25 February 1981.

1996/1997. Within reservoir investigation area.
For palaeoenviromental appraisal see (S2) in file for NHER 5292.
D. Gurney (NLA) 23 May 1997.

(S3) states that the first steam engine was installed 1838, not 1843, and was of the Butterley works (assumed because the engineer was Glynn of Butterleys). It was replaced by a vertical steam engine in 1880. The 1926 oil engine was a Vickers Petter with a Gwynnes pump; replaced by 1943 by a Ruston. The ruins of the iron building remain but (S3) states that no trace of the steam engine building was found in 2003. If this is accurate it is extremely sad.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ENGINE HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
  • PUMPING STATION (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Serial: Orange. History of Feltwell.. Vol II.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Murphy, P. (UEA). 1997. Fenland Reservoir: appraisal of palaeoenvironmental implications. 19 May.
<S3>Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, pp 104-5..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service