Record Details

NHER Number:5149
Type of record:Monument
Name:West Tofts deserted medieval village and site of great house


A series of subdued enclosure boundaries represent part of the former medieval village which was emparked in the 18th century. At the western end of the earthworks are garden and parkland boundary features belonging to the former rectory or earlier country house site. The country house was built before 1797 to replace Caston Hall (NHER 5148). It later became the rectory. It was demolished after World War Two. A 19th century vinery wall belonging to the former rectory is still standing.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8360 9301
Map Sheet:TL89SW

Full description

10 February 1970. Site of West Tofts village.
Five closes running north to south, 137m (150 yards) long and 46 to 64m (50 to 70 yards) wide, separated by bands 30 to 90cm (1 to 3 feet) high and 9m (10 yards) wide, located by C. Taylor (RCHME).

January 1976.
A. Rogerson (NAU) found one medieval sherd in molehill.
E. Rose (NAU).

Area of earthworks extends further west than scheduled area with bank and ditch forming two sides of enclosure.
Visit with K. Sussams (NCM).
Pottery at TF 8348 9310.
One body sherd ?Thetford Ware.
One body sherd Grimston glazed.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA)
B. Cushion (NLA), February 1995.

February 1995.
Unauthorised slit trench excavated by military.
See (S1) in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 8 February 1995.

1995. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000.
Area to north of church where a series of subdued enclosure boundaries represent part of the former medieval village and with the western end having garden and parkland boundary features of the former rectory/country house site to south.
See report (S2) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S3) and the survey is also noted in (S4).
B. Cushion (NLA), December 1995.

September 2002. DEFRA visit
The ?vinery wall at former rectory was really well preserved with its 19th century pipes and flues - even the wall tiles were still present.
See (S5).
E. Rose (NLA), 11 February 2002.

In the southern projection of the scheduled area, not surveyed by B. Cushion (NLA), stood the Hall which superceded the hall on moated site NHER 5138 at some date before 1797. (See detailed description under NHER 5138). It later became the rectory and was demolished after World War Two. A heated vinery wall survives on site.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 February 2003.

The medieval village was emparked in the 18th century.
See (S6).
M. Dennis (NLA), 25 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VINERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RESTRICTED: TL8392D, E, G, H, K, L, M, P, Q, R, S..
---Publication: 1970. AM7.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF355.
---*Verbal Communication: Hook, D. (DEFRA). 2003. [unknown].
---Designation: Corbishley, M.. 1982. AM107.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 89 SW 16 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Taylor, C.. 1970. Site notes.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Lynford.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Correspondence: Sussams, K.. 1995. Letter. West Tofts area.. 6 February.
<S2>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. Lynford (West Tofts) SMR 5148, 5149 & 31035. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S3>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 83.
<S4>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 403.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Hooke, D. (DEFRA). 2002. DEFRA site visit report and photographs.
<S6>Article in Serial: Davison, A. and Cushion, B. 2005. An Archaeological Survey of the Stanford Training Area, 2000-2. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 602-616. p 613.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service