Record Details

NHER Number:5148
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Caston Hall

Summary

This well-defined moated platform is the site of Caston Hall.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8376 9290
Map Sheet:TL89SW
Parish:LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Moated site of Caston Hall.
Rectangular stream fed moat enclosed by trees, in very good condition.
A. Rogerson (NAU), January 1976.

The hall was supposed to have been built in the 14th century. Rebuilt 1776, it later became the rectory. An old print reproduced in church guide book, pre 1930 (the print) shows building with west front of three storeys, four bays each with gable; parapet stacks on north gable and off-centre. The south bay of the west front has a two-storey brick bow added. The south wall is shown obliquely; it has a two storey projection with gable above, and apparently two bays between this and the southwest corner. Church guide mentions outbuildings surviving in 1982 - these are probably those marked by Ordnance Survey some distance away to west. Style of house in picture would suit 1776, with bow of around 1820.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 January 1982.

Old photograph on display at West Tofts Camp shows south front as five bays, the central bay projecting with rusticated quoins; two storeys with overall pediment. Central doorway with pilasters. Half round bays project to east and west from side walls.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 January 1995.

However, both the above paragraphs in fact refer to the later hall, which from before 1797 stood to the west of the church, on site NHER 5149; it is this that became the Rectory as shown on 19th to 20th century maps.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 February 2003.

Summer 1994.
Vegetation and scrub removed by Ministry of Defence soldiers under sentence.
D.Gurney (NLA), 24 November 1994.

1995. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000. Well defined moated platform recorded as the site of Caston Hall.
See report (S1) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S2) and the results of the summary are also noted in (S3).
B. Cushion (NLA), December 1995.

September 2002. DEFRA visit.
Scheduled moated site of Caston Hall.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 11 February 2002.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RESTRICTED: TL8392 F,J,M,N,R,T,U,V.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF386.
---Designation: Corbishley, M.. 1982. AM107.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 89 SW 11.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Article in Serial: Davison, A. and Cushion, B. 2005. An Archaeological Survey of the Stanford Training Area, 2000-2. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 602-616.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Lynford.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. Lynford (West Tofts) SMR 5148, 5149 & 31035. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S2>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 83.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 403.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Hooke, D. (DEFRA). 2002. DEFRA site visit report and photographs.

Related records

31035Related to: Undated rectangular enclosure (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service