Record Details

NHER Number:5147
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of 19th century charity school

Summary

The 19th century charity school was built by Sir Richard Sutton Bt. in 1828 and maintained at his expense. It provided education for thirty two children for over one hundred years. The school was demolished in 1977.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8376 9272
Map Sheet:TL89SW
Parish:LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

School was 19th century with reused medieval material now salvaged.
See notes and (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), May 1990.

The 19th century charity school was built by Sir Richard Sutton Bt. in 1828 and maintained at his expense. It provided education for thirty two children for over one hundred years. The school was demolished in 1977.
See (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 22 May 2006.

The Horseshoes Inn, formerly recorded under this number is now NHER 44692.
M. Dennis (NLA), 26 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Lynford.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Photograph of charity school and The Horseshoes Inn, pre battle area.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Tudor pub in the battle area. 22 August.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service