Record Details

NHER Number:5139
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible Roman cremation in Zigzag Covert


A pot filled with human bones and ashes was found on or under a paving of flint in Zigzag Covert. This could be a Roman cremation.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8166 9362
Map Sheet:TL89SW

Full description

Found by gardener in Zigzag Covert one furlong west of Nelthorpe's House (Lynford Hall) urns with bones and ashes found on a paving of flint.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Or under flint paving.
E. Rose (NAU).

Called Roman on old Ordnance Survey.
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • FLOOR (Unknown date)
  • CREMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CREMATION (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: 1901. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 1. pp 319, 331.
---Serial: Armstrong, M. J.. 1781. The History and Antiquities of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VI, Grimshoe Hundred. p 65?.
---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II.
---Serial: Parkin, C. Parkin's History of Norfolk.. Vol II. 2.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 89 SW 7.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Serial: Gough. 1806. Additions to Camden.. Vol II Cambers.
---Publication: Hart, R. 1844. Antiquities of Norfolk.
---Serial: Cromwell & Cotman. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk. Vol II, p 125.
---Monograph: Reynolds, T.. 1799. Inter Britannicum..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Early Saxon. Lynford.
<S1>Article in Serial: [unknown]. Arch. Vol XXIII, p 371.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service