Record Details

NHER Number:5048
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, Ickburgh


This church was formerly dedicated to St Bartholomew. Most of the 14th to 15th century church was rebuilt between 1866 to 1867. The tower dates to the 14th century. Legend has it that a beer mug and bottle in the east gable were put there by a builder who was sacked for drinking on the job. An archaeological watching brief during drainage work found no archaeological features or finds.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8164 9506
Map Sheet:TL89NW

Full description

10 August 1977. Visit.
Formerly dedicated to St Bartholomew. Old church was 13.4m by 6m (44 feet x 19 feet), chancel 8m by 5.5m (26 feet x 18 feet) according to (S1), of flint. Nave windows were cusped lancets, east and south chancel windows intersected tracery. North and south doors. Medieval coffin-slabs and rood screen; mark of much higher former roof on tower. All that survives now of this building is the tower, which (S2) calls Perpendicular but which has cusped Y-tracery bell openings, ie early 14th century, which would fit the windows of the old church. Old roof mark is now only slightly above the present roof of the church built by Phipson in 1866. It has carved gargoyles, and a south porch of wood and stained glass. Stone screen and pulpit according to (S2) (interior inaccessible). Flagon 1731, salver 1764, chalice undated. In recent restoration of the east gable the bottoms of a beer mug and bottles were found, thought to date from the rebuilding.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 August 1977.

T. Martin saw the old church around 1730 and described it as thatched, with two piscinae in the chancel and another by the pulpit. Carved stones in upper part of the chancel. Different houses in the village were responsible for different sections of the church yard wall, an old custom. 'The whole kept in a very indecent condition, and ill becoming a place set apart for worship'.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

(S4) upgrades to II* and indeed dates tower to 14th century. Note stained glass by Heaton Butler and Bayne.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 December 2000.

October 2004. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of drainage work. Contexts 1 to 6.
No archaeological finds or features were recorded.
See report (S5) for further details. This work is also summarised in (S6).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.321).
J. Allen (NLA), 25 August 2005. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 23 June 2019.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1976. Drinker's revenge in wall. 11 March.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 446-447.
---Leaflet: Saint Peter's Church, Ickburgh..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF2189.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H. About 1900. Hundred of Freebridge Lynn.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 215.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077286.
<S5>Unpublished Contractor Report: Peachey, M. 2005. Archaeological Watching Brief at St Peter's Church, Ickburgh, Norfolk. Archaeological Project Services. 23/05.
<S6>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2006. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2005. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 124-136. p 128.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service