Record Details

NHER Number:44328
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory


The earliest parts of this brick former rectory date back to the 17th century. The building was heightened and enlarged in 1731 according to a datestone on the rear wall. The cross wing and stair block were added in 1783. Inside is a fine staircase with a swept mahogany handrail, turned balusters and shaped tread ends.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 86373 13009
Map Sheet:TF81SE

Full description

February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Former rectory. Some 17th century brickwork heightened and enlarged in 1731 according to datestone on rear wall. Cross wing and stair block added in 1783 (Glebe terrier). Brick with black pantiled roofs. Two storeys with attic."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 12 April 2006. Amended J. Cullis (HES), 13 November 2019.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) VICARAGE (16th Century to Late 20th Century - 1600 AD to 1999 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 520.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169408.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service