|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Town Hall, The Green|
Hunstanton's former Town Hall, constructed in 1896 by the architects C.J. and F.W. Skipper. It is built of carstone in a 'Jacobethan' style. The front façade features a gabled central section with a clock. To the rear is a hall that has eight bays and a lead and wooden cupola on its ridge.
|Grid Reference:||TF 67369 40999|
|Parish:||HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former Town Hall. Dated 1896 and inscribed CJ and FW Skipper, architects. Carstone rubble with squared dressings, tiled roofs. Two storey tripartite façade, single storey hall to rear. Late Victorian Jacobethan. Façade with two bay gabled centre, single bay slightly recessed wings. Ground floor with central door and two single light casements, first floor with central four-light and flanking two-light arched headed cross windows divided by thin pilasters with console bases and entablature above. Gable with clock set in strap work surround, stone coping and strap work finial. Outer bays with single ground floor cross window and one first floor three-light mullioned and transomed window. Returned gables with stone coping and apex finial. Two ridge stacks. South gable with two storey bow window projection and five-sided two storey porch with conical roof and wooden cupola. Eight bay hall to rear with large mullioned and transomed windows, lead and wooden cupola on ridge, and gabled porch.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 5 April 2006.
- (Former Type) TOWN HALL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1896 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 443. |
Related records - none
Find out more...