Record Details

NHER Number:44026
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible landscape park associated with Hoe Hall


Modern road lines, trackways and field boundaries to the north of Hoe Hall (NHER 2832) suggest the former existence of a landscape park in this area.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 99882 16761
Map Sheet:TF91NE

Full description

March 2006.
To the north of Hoe Hall (NHER 2832) modern road lines, trackways and field boundaries (S1) suggest the former existence of a landscape park. The suggested boundary of the park (working from St Andrew's Church (NHER 2833) and from west to east) follows the alignment of the east to west road to the south of Hoe Hall and the church. It then turns northwest to follow the road to the west of the Hall. At the junction of this road and a track (opposite Keepers Cottage) it turns northeast to follow the track. At the junction of the track and a drain it turns east to follow the east to west line of the drain and then a trackway. The suggested boundary then turns southeast following a bend in the track, to become southeast to northwest aligned. At the juntion of this track and Hoe Road it turns southwest to follow the route of Hoe Road. The suggested boundary is complete where Hoe Road meets with the east to west aligned road south of Hoe Hall and church.

These boundaries also appear on the tithe map (S2) and the 1st edition Ordance Survey map (S3). Concentrations of trees appear on both these maps and add weight to the landscape park interpretation. No landscape park is marked in this area on Faden's map of 1797 (S4). This may mean that if the boundaries are from a landscape park, it was established after 1797.
D. Robertson (NLA), 15 March 2006.

The possible presence of a small landscape park here shows how the 'naturalistic' style of the landscape park could be adapted by smaller landowners.
S. Spooner (NLA), 15 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • LANDSCAPE PARK (18th Century to 19th Century - 1797 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2000. Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map (revised 2000).
<S2>Map: 1847. Hoe tithe map.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey first edition 25 inch (1880's ?) map. OS.
<S4>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records

2832Part of: Hoe Hall and medieval moat (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service