|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Foulden|
This large church is medieval and later. The west tower collapsed in the 18th century and the tower arch was replaced with a window. The building mostly dates to the 14th century. The south porch is ornate whilst the north porch, although built in the 15th century, more plain. All Saints was originally built as a subsidiary church to St Edmund's (NHER 4829).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7647 9897|
|Parish:||FOULDEN, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Listed grade I.
E. Rose (NAU), March 1986.
June 1960. Listed, Grade I.
Medieval and later. Flint partly rendered with ashlar and some brick dressings. Slate, pantile and corrugated concrete tile roofs. Former western tower; aisled nave with porches; chancel with vestry to the north. West wall with scars of former tower and a partially blocked tower arch serving as a window. Modern bellcote. South aisle with 14th century two light cusped Y traceried west window. Three 14th century two light south windows, two with mouchettes and a 14th century three light east window with mouchettes - one light blocked by rood stair projection. 14th century cusped tomb recess in south wall with ogee hood. Graffito with initials E.B. and date 1594. Broken 14th century tomb slab in recess with raised cross decoration. Large porch with double ogee moulded entrance arch on shafted responds. 14th century two light side windows with reticulated tracery. 14th century south doorway with filletted roll mouldings and carved head label stops. North aisle with 14th century two light windows similar to south aisle. Porch with plain chamfered entrance arch and cusped two light side windows. Early roof with moulded wall plate and principal rafters supported on wall posts. North doorway of two plain chamfered orders. Six two light clerestory windows with cusping. Chancel with four three light panel traceried side windows with shallow heads and a four light east window in similar style. Gabled diagonal buttress and a priest's doorway to south.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 7 December 2005.
Before 10 June 2009. Casual find whilst grave digiging.
Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery sherds.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 June 2009.
April 2010. Historic building report.
Prior to an application for grant-aided repairs to the roofs and chancel arch of the church an inspection of the historic fabric was made by S. Heywood (NCC). The church was built on a new site to accommodate the shift in population away from the old village between AD 1316 and 1335. The loss of the tower, replacement of the chancel and the addition of the northern porch in AD 1479 and the renewal of the nave roof are major departures from the 14th century design. The window tracery has escaped major restoration and is an excellent example of the early use of the ogee. Part of the design is the rare tomb niche on the south side fitted between the two windows of the south aisle. The south porch is not an addition but part of the original plan and it retains its decorated side windows and roof. The furnishings of the nave are also exceptional with 16th century carved arm rests to the pews and 18th century box pews. The screen dado retains some 15th century painted figures.
S. Howard (NLA), 26 July 2010.
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Manning, C. R. 1864. Lost brasses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 3-26. p 21. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. £1.4m church repairs boost. 19 February. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 343. |
|---||Leaflet: A guide to the churches and villages of the Hilborough group of parishes, Norfolk.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Artist whose talent was overlooked is in the spotlight. 4 July. |
|---||Leaflet: All Saint's, Foulden. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of South Greenhoe. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XII. pp 85-96. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305354. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2010. The Church of All Saints, Foulden: Conservation based research analysis and report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...