Record Details

NHER Number:42737
Type of record:Building
Name:Le Strange Arms Hotel, Waterworks Road


An 18th century house, with a hotel extension of around 1900. The house is built of carstone and has a two storeys and a tile roof. The hotel is constructed of carstone and red brick and has three storeys, attics and a slate roof.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 68194 42428
Map Sheet:TF64SE

Full description

18th century house of squared and coursed carstone, tile roof. Extended about 1900 to form hotel, carstone with red brick, slate roof. Hotel three storeys and attic, house two storeys. House has tripartite sash flanked by flat arched sash windows, offcentre door. Four first floor windows. Off centre and south stack, parapet gables. Two storey wing set back at south, (S1) states 'ground floor façade and south gable squerd clunch with brick dressings suggests about 1600 date' – does this refer to the wing alone, or is it a misprint for 1700? 1900 block given as H-plan in Classical style, five bays to sea, central porch.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 December 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOTEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077917.
<S2>Unpublished Document: 2005. Architectural Plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service