Record Details

NHER Number:42703
Type of record:Building
Name:Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

Summary

This Roman Catholic Byzantine-style church was built by F.E. Banham in the late 19th century in Italian style. The church was built for John Kenyon of Gillingham Hall after his conversion to Roman Catholicism. The unusual churchyard contains cast iron crosses instead of headstones.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 41170 92102
Map Sheet:TM49SW
Parish:GILLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.
By F. E. Banham, built in 1898. In Italian style. Red brick and large for a private chapel, with a nicely detailed and confident west end consisting of two tall thin towers ending in open lanterns. Between them is a pedimented centrepiece. Two tiers of pilasters to the nave walls, containing blind recesses to the base and oculi to the attic storey. Apsed east end without windows. Barrel vaulted interior, simple and effective. The side walls have a continuous moulded entablature on pilasters with recessed arches to the nave; the vault has transverse ribs. The applied marble facing originally fitted has been removed. Good cast and wrought iron west screen.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 23 December 2005.

Stone Byzantine-style church with apse, having pedimented ground floor recess and giant panels on two levels; two west turrets with domes; south vestry with ornamental chimney; clrestory of circular windows. Interior of apse has giant engaged pilasters.
Constructed 1886 by John Kenyon of Gillingham Hall after his conversion to Roman Catholicism.
Interior formerly clad in imitation marble, removed in early 20th century.
Unusual churchyard with cast iron crosses instead of headstones.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 16 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1898 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. A little piece of Italy slumbers in the countryside. 9 March.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 358-359; Pl 116.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 2006. Eastern Daily Press. 9 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service