|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Buxton Reformatory|
The site of an open training prison. It was founded in 1855 as an alternative to standard prisons with the aim of training offenders under the age of 20. The original buildings were arranged around a quadrangle with a detached block to northwest and a playground to southeast. It was later known as Red House Farm School when the focus was on agricultural training. It was demolished in 2002 and replaced by the Rowan House, a centre for adults with learning disabilities. During the building works a bottle with a message dating from 1896 was found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 21392 23186|
|Parish:||MARSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of Buxton reformatory (despite name, always in Marsham parish).
Founded in 1855 as an alternative to prison to train offenders under the age of 20.
(S1) shows the original buildings as quadrangle and detached block to northwest with a playground to southeast.
Later known as Red House Farm School when emphasis was on agricultural training.
Demolished 2002 and replaced by Rowan House (a centre for adults with learning disabilities), at which time a bottle with a message dating from 1896 left by the original governor was found.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 July 2005.
- OPEN TRAINING PRISON (19th Century to 21st Century - 1855 AD to 2002 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880. First edition six inch map. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2002. Found - Victorian message in a bottle. 1 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...