Record Details

NHER Number:41731
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Burgh Hall


This is the site of Burgh Hall, a mid 19th century country house built by the Ferrier family. The house was demolished in the mid 20th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 49585 04600
Map Sheet:TG40SE

Full description

According to (S1) the house was built in 1846.
However (S2) quotes (S3) as saying that Richard Ferrier on 22 June 1850 Richard Ferrier entertained Freemasons in commemoration of the completion of his new mansion (Burgh Hall) 'the foundation of which had been laid with Masonic honours'.
Demolished in the mid 20th century and replaced by a country club.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 May 2005.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Serial: 1987. Brick Bulletin.. No 42.
<S2>Monograph: LeStrange, H.. 1896. History of freemasonry in Norfolk, 1724 to 1895.. p 195.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. 1850. [unknown]. 22 June.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service