Record Details

NHER Number:38340
Type of record:Monument
Name:Probable post medieval quarries


Probable post medieval quarries are visible on aerial photographs and are marked on Ordnance Survey maps. The quarries were probably associated with a nearby brickworks.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 15830 42239
Map Sheet:TG14SE

Full description

Norfolk NMP. June 2003.
Morley Hill shows signs of probable post medieval quarrying. This is visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1 to S2). This quarrying has not been plotted in detail and only shown by an extent of area because it was rather indistinct. It seems to consist of small patches within an area that is approximately 350m by 250m in size. These remains have been made confusing in part by the World War Two practice trenches in the area (NHER 32522).
This site is marked on the Ordnance survey 1st (S3) and 2nd (S4) editions and the remains of it are still shown on the current Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map (S5). These quarried areas are just to the south of a brickworks shown on both the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd edition maps (S3 and S4). The quarries are probably connected to the brickworks.
H. Clare (NMP), 23 June 2003.

Monument Types

  • EXTRACTIVE PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1606 4154-5 27-JUN-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3178-9 07-JUN-1946 (Norfolk SMR TG14/TG 1542A-B).
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. Sheets X.8, X.12, XI.5, XI.9.
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). Sheets X.8, X.12, XI.5, XI.9.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2000. Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map (revised 2000).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service