Record Details

NHER Number:38985
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of World War Two defences


World War Two barbed wire and weapons pits are visible on contemporary aerial photographs.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 33863 34254
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

November 2004. Norfolk NMP.
World War Two barbed wire and weapons pits are visible on contemporary aerial photographs (S1-2). These remains were centred around TG 3388 3422. A polygonal line of barbed wire defences extended from TG 3380 3423 to TG 3402 3420 around the west, south and east sides of a pillbox (NHER 32626) in July 1941 (S1). Further barbed wire was also present around the southern perimeter of the field to the northwest. By January 1943 the barbed wire around the pillbox had been moved and extended to form a larger enclosed area, which extended to the east of Coast Road (S2). In the field to the northwest, the barbed wire had also been extended around three of its sides by that date. Two weapons pits were present in the eastern barbed wire enclosure at TG 3380 3423 and TG 3400 3421. Both of these were in place by July 1941 (S1). A third weapons pit was located further north at TG 3384 3438 (S1). Further military activity appears to have been taking place in the corner of the field at TG 3386 3424 between 1941 and 1943, but this was not clear enough to be mapped. No evidence of the extant spigot mortar emplacement (NHER 32627) within this general area was visible on aerial photographs.
J. Albone (NMP), 29 November 2004

Monument Types

  • BARBED WIRE ENTANGLEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • WEAPONS PIT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. RAF S/358 14-5 30-JUL-1941 (NMR).
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1943. RAF AC/161 5123-5124 04-JAN-1943 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service