Record Details

NHER Number:40653
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Bull, Market Place


This is a former public house. The timber framed two cell building has moulded beams and a large industrial fireplace in the cellar that dates to around 1600. It was clad in brick in the 19th century. The second cell was extended upwards in the late 18th century when the building was reroofed. In the attic is a small timber walled room with a door secured by a chain and staple. This may have been a punishment room for servants. A slot in the wall would have been used for passing in plates of food.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 99392 86439
Map Sheet:TL98NE

Full description

Former public house, timber framed, two cell.
One cell with fireplace, moulded beams and large industrial fireplace in cellar dates to around 1600. Other cell possibly earlier, or else of same date, greatly raised in height in late 18th century when building reroofed. Punishment room for servants in attic. External 19th century brick cladding.
See (S1).
See also (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 14 July 2004.

Monument Types

  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Rose, E.. 2004. KPR 20-21.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 755.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service