Record Details

NHER Number:40617
Type of record:Building
Name:Diken Cottage, The Old Swan and The Beams, King Street


An architectural survey suggests this range of timber framed buildings was originally two separate houses. The eastern house is now The Old Swan and the east half of Diken Cottage. This was originally a tripartite house with a hall, shop and parlour or service end. The western house is now The Beams and the west part of Diken Cottage. This was a single room and hall. These two timber framed houses were both built in the 16th century. The western house was built before the eastern. Despite the modern name it was the western house (now The Beams and part of Diken Cottage) that is recorded in old documents as being The Swan Inn in 1676 although brewers and tapsters had been living here from 1601 onwards. The range was subdivided into the present arrangement in 1818 and was refronted in brick in the early 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 08737 90341
Map Sheet:TM09SE

Full description

Two of a range of three timber framed houses dating to the late 17th century, refronted in brick in the early 19th century. Pantiled roof with black glazed pantiles to rear.
See (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16th July 2004.

September 2003. Building survey.
Diken Cottage seems to have been formed from the end units, probably the parlours or possibly shops, of the two houses on either side. The evidence of the roof structure points to a sixteenth century date of construction for both houses. The house to the west is probably earlier, as that to the east seems to have been built against it. According to [1], the western house may be the actual Old Swan, rather than that to the east, now going under that name.
See report (S2) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.

October 2003. Building survey.
The Beams seems to date from the sixteenth century and to have consisted of a single bay room to the east (Diken Cottage) with a large hall comprising the remainder of the house to the west. The hall, with its spectacularly long axial joist, is similar to that found in Dial House, the next house to the west. The building has been relatively little altered apart from the roof change from its original queen posts and the nineteenth century brick cladding.
East end of Diken Cottage is now known as Old Swan. Description of Old Swan (S3) in file but no conclusions added to those for Diken Cottage.
See report (S4) for The Beams and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.

According to the documents these three houses previously comprised two properties, The Old Swan documented from 1564 and the rest from 1542, but with former owners recorded in both cases. Despite the present name The Swan is documented as the west part of Diken House. It is not named as an inn until 1676, but it was owned by brewers and tapsters from 1601 onwards, the earliest being Henry Wolward a beer brewer. In the early 18th century it changed its name to The Star and by 1818 it had been subdivided into two tenements.
See (S5).
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.

May 2004. Dendrochronological analysis.
A single sample was taken from an apparently integral floor joist in the Old Swan. The sample is complete to bark-edge and was felled in the winter of 1573/4. It was utilised green, suggesting that construction took place shortly after this date. The dated timbers are derived from the floor, which is currently interpreted as being integral to the building, but this needs to be checked.
See (S6) for further information.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 10 July 2009.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) SHOP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Former Type) INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077533.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. Diken Cottage, King Street, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. The Old Swan, King Street, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. The Beams, King Street, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S5>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 99-104.
<S6>Unpublished Document: Tyers, I. with Brown, S. and Brown, M.. 2004. Arcus Project Report No. 783. A Report on the Tree-Ring Analysis of Properties in New Buckenham, Norfolk.. pp 7-8.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
40641Related to: Tanyard Cottage (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service