Record Details

NHER Number:40055
Type of record:Building
Name:3 and 3a King's Staithe Square


Two late 18th century houses under one continuous roof. The houses are built of red brick and have original late 18th century glazing.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6162 1997
Map Sheet:TF61NW

Full description

December 1951. Listed Grade II.
Listed as two houses under a continuous roof, late 18th century on older core. Red brick, slate roof, two storeys and attic. No. 3 has five bays; door to right under overlight and between pilasters, three sashes and one blind window to left; five sashes at first floor with exposed boxes, suggesting date of about 1735, but glazing is late 18th century. Two dormers. No. 3A of three bays - first floor windows similar to No. 3, ground floor two plate glass sashes and 20th century door to right. One dormer. Overall timber cornice.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 December 2003.

December 2003. Visit.
Exterior briefly seen. Impression is of one overall façade with doorway in central projection, not mentioned on Listing. Certainly present and not mentioned is a blocked carriage arch with Classical mask keystone at south end of No. 3A. The large cellars (18th century or older) beneath Nos. 4-5 extend under this range as well, and the 16th century wall inside No. 4 might continue inside (see NHER 15117 for further information). The external paint of the façade was added for the making of the film 'Revolution' in the 1980s.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 December 2003.

Monument Types

  • WALL? (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
  • CELLAR (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1735 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1290882.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service