Record Details

NHER Number:38573
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval road and ditch

Summary

Cropmarks of a medieval road and an undated ditch parallel to it are visible on aerial photographs.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3960 2606
Map Sheet:TG32NE
Parish:INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 2004. Norfolk NMP
Part of this site was previously recorded within NHER 8258.
Cropmarks of a medieval ditch-defined road or trackway and an undated ditch parallel to it are visible on aerial photographs (S1). A ditch defined trackway extends for 175m between TG39442605 to TG39622607, with intermittent ditches continuing its course to the east. It crosses a cropmark enclosure believed to relate to the medieval manor (NHER 8258) and is likely to be the course of a road from 'Pallyng to Staleham' that was relocated in 1365 shortly after the adjacent Trinitarian priory (NHER 8220) was founded (S2, p.13). The projected course of the cropmark aligns with the southern boundary of the cricket ground, stated in (S2) to represent the probable line of the earlier road, and also with the modern road to the west of Ingham church. A short section of ditch, parallel to the road, is present at its western end.
See also adjacent cropmarks NHER 8258, 38572, 38574 and Priory NHER 8220.
J. Albone (NMP), 28 April 2004

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Unknown date)
  • TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1976. NHER TG 3926F (NLA 32/AGC25) 13-JUL-1976.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Pestell, T.J.. 1991. The Archaeology of Ingham Priory: A Case Study with Reference to the Trinitarian Order in Britain.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service