Record Details

NHER Number:4361
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval moat


A rectangular medieval moat, which survives as an earthwork within an area of woodland. The moat is still water filled.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6890 0589
Map Sheet:TF60NE

Full description

A rectangular moat is depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S1) and is visible in aerial photogaphs (S2).

March 1978. Measured Survey.
Ordnance Survey staff visited the site to update their survey. The moat was reported to be in woodland and measured 56.0m north-south by 61.0m east-west. The arms of the moat were water-filled and measured a maximum of 10.0m wide by 0.3m deep. The island was under pasture and was 0.5m above the surrounding area. No traces of a building were observed on the island. An inlet was observed at the south-east corner, but there was no trace of an outlet.
Information from (S3).
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 6 March 1990.
Updated H. Hamilton (HES), 12 February 2015.

August 1980. Field Observation (Visual Assessment).
Marked as water filled and foursided, rectangular, in wood; on (S4). Owners would not allow access but it was confirmed the moat is still there. It is now situated behind a swimming pool.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 August 1980.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fincham.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Aerial Photograph: TF6805A-C.
<S3>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 NE 18 [2].
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1957. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service