|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Michael's Church, Fincham|
This is the site of St Michael's Church, which Bryant described as 12th and 13th century. The church was demolished in the mid 18th century. The font is now in St Martin's Church, NHER 4532. Roman pottery, medieval pottery, floor tile, and inhumations were discovered during building work on the site in 1980.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6857 0635|
|Parish:||FINCHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of St Michael's church.
Norman and Early English according to (S1); demolished 1745 to 1751.
24 July 1980.
Medieval tiles, Roman and Late Saxon sherds found.
Many east to west inhumations.
For full details see file.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 August 1980.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 168; pp 54, 157-158. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown. p 359. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 NE 10 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fincham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 116-126. |
Related records - none
Find out more...