Record Details

NHER Number:4351
Type of record:Building
Name:Fincham Hall


The earliest part of the hall is the octagonal brick tower dating to about 1480, similar to those at Oxburgh Hall. The tower may have been part of a separate gatehouse for an earlier hall. The present hall dates from the late 16th century, with extensive 19th century restoration. The 16th century hall was H shaped, with a screens passage, and a kitchen in the cross wing. Part of a late medieval or early post medieval dagger was found underneath the floor of the kitchen. In November 2010 a programme of building recording was undertaken for three barns in the north-eastern part of the complex.


  • Fincham Hall, a late 16th century building with extensive 19th century restoration  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 6945 0648
Map Sheet:TF60NE

Full description

Important building.
Brick tower in the style of Oxburgh, about 1480, may once have been part of separate gatehouse.
Hall now attached is of half H shape plan dating from about 1580.
Altered during the 18th century the building was thoroughly restored to something like its original appearance in the late 19th century.
Renovated in 1994.
See (S1), (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 23 September 1994.

Late medieval/early post medieval dagger found under floor.
Details in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 November 1994.

28 April 1994. NLA Air photography.
Fincham Hall and service buildings visible.
S. Massey (NLA) 6 February 2001.

November 2010. Building Survey.
Historic Building Recording Survey of barns at Hall Farm. The two barns forming the northern part of the arm complex are visible on the 1839 tithe map (S4) with the western barn probably predating the one to the east. The extension to the western barn from the north-western corner is likely to have occurred between the date of the tithe map and the Ordnance Survey 1st edition map (S5). The detached barn to the north was probably constructed in the mid-19th century and has undergone extensive alterations.
See report (S6) for further details.
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2011.507).
S. Howard (HES), 23 February 2011. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 22 July 2019.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HA HA (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIVERY STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DAGGER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DAGGER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HAW 8-11.
---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 178.
---Aerial Photograph: TF6906 AG-AH.
---Aerial Photograph: TF 69 06 AJ-AK.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 60 NE 17 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. [Sale advertisement for Fincham Hall]. 21 April.
---Serial: 1819. Excursions Through Norfolk. Vol II.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 337-338.
---Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. Pl 24.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fincham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 161.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152126.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Map: 1839. Fincham tithe map.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S6>Unpublished Contractor Report: Phelps, A. 2010. An Historic Building Recording Survey at Hall Farm Barns, Fincham, Norfolk. NAU Archaeology. 2534.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service