Record Details

NHER Number:4201
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


This post medieval windmill can be seen on Faden's map of 1797. It was a smock mill but was replaced by a tower mill between 1831 and 1860. It was last used in 1916. Mill House is dated to 1798 but was refaced in around 1840.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8854 1413
Map Sheet:TF81SE

Full description

25 May 1978. Visit. Windmill.
Base of brick towermill remains about 2m high, overgrown.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 May 1978.

This mill is marked on the (S1) and perhaps on the (S2) although this is not clear.
E. Rose (NAU).

However it is certainly on (S3).

Originally a smock mill, replaced by tower between 1831 to 1860. Last used 1916.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.

Mill House is dated 1798 but was refaced in around 1840.
Information from Norfolk County Council.
E. Rose (NLA).

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Newton and Woodrow. 1838. Great Dunham tithe map.
<S2>Map: 1797. Great Dunham enclosure map.
<S3>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service