|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Mary's Church, Great Dunham|
St Mary's Church stood 100m southwest of St Andrews (NHER 4178). This Norman church had a separate rector until 1437. Nothing of the building survives, although fragments of it may have been reused to edge flower beds and build Rookery Farm (NHER 13022) and Croft Farm (NHER 13021). The altar stone with crosses was moved to St Andrew's. The reused fragments of the church suggest it must have been a fairly large and impressive building.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8731 1471|
|Parish:||GREAT DUNHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
25 May 1978. Visit. Site of St Mary's church.
Had separate incumbent until 1437 according to (S1) though (S2) says still standing after 1500. (S3) mentions east wall surviving but this now only a heap of overgrown rubble. Few carved stones including zigzag cable moulding remain edging flower beds, but most have been removed to St Andrew's, including the altar stone with crosses still visible mentioned by (S1); though Bawsey tiles also noted by (S1) apparently gone. If as appears this church produced all the reused material in Rookery and Croft farms it must have been a Norman building of some size.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 May 1978.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 166; p 54. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 365. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 176. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Dunham (Great). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Bulwer, J. 1847. Extracts from the Register-Book of Great Dunham. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol I pp 357-363. p 360. |
|<S2>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol IX. |
Related records - none
Find out more...