|Type of record:||Monument|
Archaeological evaluation and a watching brief carried out here during development revealed two prehistoric linear gullies and part of a probable ditch. Finds included fragments of prehistoric and Late Iron Age to Roman pottery, a probable Neolithic blade and a possible flint tool.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 76464 99046|
|Parish:||FOULDEN, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
January 2003. Trial Trench.
Single trench excavation on site of proposed residential dwelling. Contexts 1-9.
Two gullies revealed. One contained prehistoric pottery. The other contained Late Iron Age/Roman pottery, also a probable Neolithic blade.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S2).
J. Allen (NLA), 7 January 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 May 2015.
February 2004. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of excavation of footings for new dwelling. Contexts 10-11.
Undatable feature, probably part of a ditch.
Unstratified possible flint tool.
See report (S3) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S4).
J. Allen (NLA), 24 February 2004.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- GULLY (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- GULLY (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Griffiths, M. 2003. Results of an Archaeological Trial Trench Evaluation: On land at 82 School Road, Foulden, Norfolk. M & M Archaeological Services. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Phillips, C. 2004. An Archaeological Watching Brief at 82 School Road, Foulden, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 922. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 754. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 577. |
Related records - none
Find out more...