Record Details

NHER Number:36963
Type of record:Building
Name:Boundary Farm and barn


A house and barn on the boundary between Briningham and Gunthorpe. The house dates to about 1600, and is two storeys high with a roof space. It is built of flint and brick but also contains some reused stone, which was possibly taken from Binham Priory after the Dissolution of the monasteries. The north end of the house was reconstructed in the 19th century.
The barn, which has a date of 1713, is of brick and tile, and is a fine example of the period. It has been converted to residential use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0170 3406
Map Sheet:TG03SW

Full description

House of about 1600, with details of reused stone; south gable stack and three storeys.
Timber framed partitions. North end reconstructed in 19th century.
Fine brick barn of 1713.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 February 2002.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170616.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Windows reflect winnowing days. 2 September.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service