Record Details

NHER Number:4082
Type of record:Monument
Name:Rouges Manor, site of medieval moated manor


This three-sided moat may be the site of Rouges Manor. It was referred to as Rowsess Manor in a document dated to 1675.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8650 1685
Map Sheet:TF81NE

Full description

7 April 1978. Visit.
Moat. Site of Rouges Manor. Three sided, not quite reaching river - altered when gardens laid out. Island embanked
up. Overgrown, ditches very wet.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1978.

Referred to as Rowsess Manor in terrier 1675.
W. Milligan (NCM), 11 July 1985.

Measures 70m east-to-west by 50m north-to-south, arm averaging 12m wide. No entrance causeway is visible, though the south arm is waisted and may have given access to the interior which rises about 0.5m above the water level.
Information from (S1).
R.J. Rickett 25 July 1990.

March-May 2014. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks undertaken to improve the water quality and habitats of the River Nar and the lakes within Lexham Hall Park (part of the River Nar Restoration Project).
To the west of the lakes the river was diverted southwards, along an existing channel within the American Gardens - part of which is a recut of the southern arm of the moat. As an existing channel was used this section of the moat was unchanged by these works. The dredging of the former channel to the north was also monitored as this coincides with the northern arm of the moat. It was though found that the watercourse no longer reflects the original form of the moat, being wide and shallow at this point. Care was taken to ensure that the dredging were deposited away from the earthworks of the moat.
See report (S2) for further details, including results of an initial topographic survey by the Norfolk Rivers Internal Drainage Board.
P. Watkins (HES), 21 June 2021.

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Lexham.
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Records / Pastscape.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Wallis, H. 2014. Archaeological Watching Brief. River Nar Restoration Project. Lexham Hall. Heather Wallis. 145.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service