|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||West Lexham shrunken village|
The location of West Lexham medieval village is marked on a map of 1575. It surrounds a green just east of St Nicholas' Church (NHER 4019). No sign of the village can be seen on the ground or on aerial photographs.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 843 171|
|Parish:||LEXHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
(S1) shows medieval village of West Lexham - houses around green, as hatched areas on map.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU) 1969.
The medieval village of West Lexham was situated around a small green just east of St Nicholas' Church. The village was abandoned mostly before 1771 and has now totally vanished. Nothing visible on aerial photographs.
Information from (S2) in file.
R.J. Rickett (NAU), 17 July 1990.
The post medieval water meadow complex is now recorded separately as NHER 44222.
M. Dennis (NLA), 4 April 2006.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Lexham . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: 1575. West Lexham. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 81 NW 19 . |
Related records - none
Find out more...