Record Details

NHER Number:35784
Type of record:Building
Name:Cold War standby generator house at Allens Farm, Threehammer Common


This Cold War generator house resembles a simple chapel when viewed from a distance. It is a rare example of an early 1950s Rotor period radar generator building. The building is now used as a farm store.


  • Cold War battle headquarters at Neatishead. The headquarters are disguised as a house  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 3434 2003
Map Sheet:TG32SW

Full description

November 2000. Visit.
Battle headquarters disguised as house.
Around 1960. Two pile rectangular building of fletton bricks. Two gables to northeast, each with eaves swept outwards in Flemish style; between them an external chimney stack. Right hand gable has barn doors (now smashed in) below ornamental brick ventilators; left hand (taller) gable has stable doors, and first floor loading door above. On concrete standing. Stated by English Heritage as intended headquarters should radar station 1/4 mile to south be out out of action; one presumes there are underground rooms. Now used as farm store.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 November 2000.

February 2008. Listed Grade II.
The standby generator house, dating to the early 1950s, was built in nearby Neatishead village and was designed to resemble a simple chapel when viewed from a distance. It is almost identical to the one at Kelvedon Hatch but is roofed with local pantiles. The standby generator house is a rare example of an early 1950s Rotor period radar generator building, constructed in the style of a simple chapel with attached belfry. This design both allowed the building to blend into the countryside and camouflaged its true function.
See (S1) for further information.
See also (S2) and (S3).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 12 November 2009.

Monument Types

  • GENERATOR HOUSE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1950 AD? to 1992 AD?)
  • FARM BUILDING (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1992 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Rose, E.. 2001. TWV 19 Cold War battle headquarters.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Monograph: Cocroft, W.. 2001. Cold War Monuments: An Assessment by the Monuments Protection Programme..
<S3>Monograph: Cocroft, W.D. & Thomas, R.J.C.. 2004. Cold War. Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989..

Related records

31218Part of: RAF Neatishead radar station (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service