Record Details

NHER Number:3990
Type of record:Building
Name:Old School


The Old School in the churchyard was endowed in 1812 but the present building dates to 1812 with the addition of an infants room in 1841. The buildings has two gabled porches labelled boys and girls.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1674 8241
Map Sheet:TM18SE

Full description

June 1975. Visit.
School in churchyard, has two gabled porches labelled 'boys' and 'girls' and two plaques, one referring to the founding in 1812 (in Latin) by the bequest of one Kett, the other to a rebuilding in 1841. (S1) claims that each gable is of the same date as its plaque, but it seems obvious that the whole is of 1841 with the earlier plaque reset. Building should be preserved.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 June 1975.

(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

April 2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey.
The school was built in 1812 and is constructed from brick, which has been rendered and a modern slate roof.
See (S3).
S. Howard (HES), 23 August 2011.

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (19th Century - 1841 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Article on the purchase of The Old School and the potential conversion into a village hall]. 19 May.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 131.
<S2>Photograph: Unknown. [unknown].
<S3>Unpublished Document: Bate, S. & Blaikie, S.. 2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Dickleburgh School, Dickleburgh, Norfolk.. April.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service