|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Grange Farm Barn|
This single aisled barn dates from 1380/1 and probably belonged to Ingham Priory (NHER 8220). There were major alterations to the barn around 1709 with a major reduction in the length of the barn to the north and the possible removal of three original cart porches in the east. This is the only single aisled barn known in the county.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 38461 26038|
|Parish:||INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Flint and brick single-aisled barn. West wall and south wall with slit windows of very early brick, though possibly not contemporary with each other. Single aisle on east with posts of reversed J shape, and mortises for passing braces. North wall rebuilt 18th century, east wall and roof 19th century.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose, 8 October 1999.
See (S2) by S. Heywood (NCC), who agrees that the aisle posts are medieval but sees the west and south walls as 16th century and the roof as 18th century, and speaks of foundations continuing the line of the barn to the north.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 May 2000.
2002. Dendrochronological Survey.
Dendrochronological analysis of the arcade posts has dated them to 1380 to 1381.
See report (S3) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 September 2002.
February 2005. Building Survey and Watching Brief.
Monitoring of new foundations. Contexts 100 to 105.
The barn dates from 1380/1 and probably belonged to Ingham Priory. It appears that there were major alterations to the barn around 1709 with a major reduction in the length of the barn to the north and the possible removal of three original cart porches in the east.
See report (S4) for further details.
For additional information on the conversion of Grange Farm Barn see newspaper article (S5).
J. Allen (NLA), 25 August 2005.
- AISLED BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SINGLE AISLED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 2005. Eastern Daily Press. 16 November. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Norwich Evening News. 2006. More cash needed to protect buildings. 11 July. |
|---||Designation: [Various]. Scheduling and/or Listing Correspondence. Correspondence. DNF7214. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF7214. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1999. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2003. Grange Farm Barn, Grove Road, Ingham.. September. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Bridge, M. 2002. Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers from Grange Farm Barn, Grove Road, Ingham, Near North Walsham, Norfolk. English Heritage Centre for Archaeology Report. 77/2002. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Wilcox, W. A. 2005. Archaeological monitoring of excavations for new pad foundations at Grange Farm Barn, Grove Road, Ingham, Norfolk. 1112/Arch-01. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2006. A sensitive conversion. 10 March. |
|MNO1198||Related to: Barn at Grange Farm Grove Road INGHAM (Revoked)|
|8220||Related to: Holy Trinity Church and site of Priory of St Mary and Holy Trinity, Ingham (Building)|
Find out more...