Record Details

NHER Number:34317
Type of record:Building
Name:Port and Haven Commissioner's Offices, 21 South Quay

Summary

Built in 1909 by Olly and Haward, with a three-storey gabled façade. On the ground floor are offices with glass and timber partitions, and a cash office. A Jacobean style style staircase leads to the first floor boardroom, which has Jacobean style wood panelling and a decorative plaster ceiling. The south wall of the offices is of 16th-century brick, which was originally part of the Town House, NHER 4299.

Images

  • No image caption available  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 5241 0722
Map Sheet:TG50NW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

August 1974. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Port and Haven Commissioners' Offices. 1909. By Olley & Haward. Red brick with a knapped flint facade dressed with stone. Slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: Three-storey facade rising to a gable facing the street. Three-window range. Central narrow entrance bay under a hood on brackets and an arched head. One arched window right and left. Frieze above has the legend: `Port and Haven Commissioners' Offices'...The gable-head is of chequered stone and flint and rises to an arched apex with the date 1909 and a relief representation of a steamship. The main gable behind has a north and south gable-end stack. South return wall of 16th-century brick [this is the former north wall of the Town House - see NHER 4299].
INTERIOR: ground floor front offices with glass and timber partitions, including the cash office for payment of port dues. Staircase in Jacobean style with a closed string, splat balusters and moulded square newels. First-floor front room is boardroom: small-framed panelling and a ribbed plaster ceiling of simple geometric patterns."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 March 1999. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 11 March 2022.

Monument Types

  • PORT AUTHORITY OFFICE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1909 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 514.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Who fancies the keys to two quayside landmarks?. 14 October.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1245801.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service