Record Details

NHER Number:34305
Type of record:Building
Name:Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road

Summary

A fish curing works, built in 1880 around a courtyard with a long range of smoke houses, as well as offices and the manager's house. The works was one of the largest commercial curing works in Great Yarmouth, and survives in almost complete condition, little changed since the early 20th century. The buildings have now been converted into the Time and Tide Museum, and are open to the public.

Images

  • No image caption available  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 5278 0698
Map Sheet:TG50NW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1989. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Fish curing works. 1880. Red brick with some stone to the south and east ranges. Pantiled and slate roofs. Triangular site with three ranges of buildings round a yard. Manager's house and office occupies the west end of the north range. House in two storeys. Three-bay north front with a central door under a segmental head...String courses at first floor...Hipped roof with a central stack. West return of two bays...Terracotta plaque at first-floor level bears legend: 'J.R.N. Tower Curing Works 1880'. Terracotta rosette and egg-and-dart decorative plaques.
Long north range has a higher gabled roof. Paired and tripled segmental windows to ground floor with internal shutters. Immediately above are single swivel vents and under eaves are paired shuttered vents again. Ventilators on roof ridge.
Two-storeyed ranges on east and south sides have painted ground floors and rendered upper floors. Gabled roofs at various levels. Windows and loading doors at first floor and some to ground floor. Loading doorways in the central yard. INTERIOR: north range with racks and loves in three and five bays, with access from ground and first floors. Brine tanks intact."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
To be restored as a museum.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 March 1999. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 March 2022.

To be restored as a museum.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 March 1999.

June 2000.
Roof damage in arson attack.

January 2001. Building Survey.
Historic appraisal of the buildings.
See report (S2).
D. Gurney (NLA), 31 May 2002.

2002.
Plans for restoration in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 February 2002.

September 2003. Watching Brief.
Observation of works associated with the construction of a mast in the courtyard at Tower Curing Works.
One of the pits excavated contained a thin layer of dark material (possibly ash and charcoal), overlying the remains of a cobbled surface of probable 19th-century date.
See report (S3) for further details.
J. Allen (NLA), 24 November 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 April 2015.

NIAS records:
Date stone on an added building reads 1880. The site is noted in Kelly's directory (S4) between 1883 and 1896.
See (S5)
W. Arnold (HES) 09 Febuary 2011

Monument Types

  • COBBLED SURFACE (NHER) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FISH PROCESSING FACTORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SMOKE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 517.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998-2002. [Articles on the proposal to convert the Tower Curing works into a museum].
---Photograph: 1992. Photograph of Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road, Great Yarmouth. Black & white.
---Photograph: 1990. Photographs of Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road, Great Yarmouth. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1096791.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Wade-Martins, S.. 2001. Tower Curing Works, Great Yarmouth; Historical appraisal of the buildings.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Phillips, C. 2004. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Tower Curing Works, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 875.
<S4>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S5>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records

MNO7018Related to: Tower Fish Curing Works Blackfriars Road GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service