|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric burnt flint, and post-medieval finds, Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline project, and Roman and post-medieval finds|
A NAU watching brief involving fieldwalking and metal detecting in advance of the Bacton to Great Yarmouth gas pipeline recovered one prehistoric burnt flint and post medieval pottery and metalwork including a cutlery handle and a door knob back plate. Metal-detecting in 2018 recovered Roman coins and post-medieval tokens.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3919 2166|
|Parish:||CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
January-April 1997. Systematic Fieldwalking and Metal-detecting Survey.
Field survey on proposed route of Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline (Field/Location RDX 18.1).
One pot boiler was recovered along with three sherds of post medieval pottery and post medieval metal items including a decorative object, a cutlery handle, and a door knob back plate.
See report (S1) for further details.
The archive associated with this work has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2011.55 and NWHCM : 2017.395).
E. Rose (NLA) November 1998. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 12 May 2019.
June-July 2016. Metal-detecting. Site extended to the whole field. .
3 Roman coins.
1 post-medieval token.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 3 August 2018. Amended by E. McDonald (HES), 4 September 2018.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 50 AD to 260 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 138 AD to 192 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 147 AD to 175 AD)
- CUTLERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (16th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD to 1800 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Crowson, A. 1997. Bacton to Great Yarmouth Power Station Pipeline Archaeological Fieldwalking Survey. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 262. RDX 18.1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...