|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, East Walton|
This medieval church has 18th and 19th century restorations. The round tower dates to the late 12th century and includes a wall and window of possible Late Saxon date. The chancel arch and porch were built about 1300, the church was remodelled in the 15th century, the interior was redesigned during the 18th century and restoration work was undertaken in the 19th century. There are several 13th or 14th century coffin slabs in the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7426 1611|
|Parish:||EAST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1981. Visit.
Possible Late Saxon round tower, otherwise 13th to 15th centuries.
For full details see file.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 July 1981.
August 1960. Listed, Grade II.
12th century and 15th century. Mainly flint with some carstone, limestone and brick; stone dressings; concrete pantile roof. Round west tower, nave, chancel, south porch. 12th century tower of uncoursed small flints with variety of other materials, rendered embattled parapet having string course with gargoyles. West window a small lancet; semi-circular headed window above part blocked; bell opening of 2 uncusped pointed lights under a 4-centred arch with hoodmould. North and south nave alike: carstone at base, string course with broken flint above, diagonal buttress to west, 3 plain buttresses. 3 Perpendicular openings of 3 ogee headed lights, tracery of two mouchettes above outer lights, super transom and mullion above central light; opposing doorways with continuous moulding and hood mould. South porch of broken flint with diagonal buttresses, round shafts with polygonal imposts, moulded arch above with continuous outer moulding; stone benches, returns with 2-light openings with panel tracery, that to east lost; remains of arch to stoup recess to right. Chancel with green slate roof, gable parapet and cross, rendered flint walls, 5-light Perpendicular east window with stepped lights under 4-centred arch; south chancel with basket headed priest's door renewed; two Perpendicular openings of 2 and 3-lights. North chancel with one 2-light Perpendicular opening. Interior: Nave roof ceiled, 9 stone corbels in form of heads for wall posts of earlier roof. Tall chancel arch part blocked, polygonal jambs, arch to east and west with moulding of deeply carved foliage; 18th century chancel arch in wood with semi-circular head and reeded jambs. Chancel: renewed crown post roof; rear arches of east and south windows with moulded heads, that to east having figure and foliage stops; dropped rear arch to south window; recess with shelf; triangular stone pediment over priest's door with Tudor rose in hexafoil, traceried spandrels. 4 18th century Tournai marble heraldic ledger slabs to "The Honble. Wm. Lord Richardson Barond of Cramond in North Brittain" 1719, and family. 18th century nave fittings: 3 decker pulpit in pine with L hinges and decorative panel headings, 5 contemporary panelled box pews, leaded crown glass glazing, pre 1801. Hanoverian canvas achievement on west wall. Octagonal 14th century font having splayed faces with quatrefoils. Large tortoise stove.
Information from (S1).
January 2004. Visit.
The round tower in fact is late 12th century but has been added over an existing wall with high level window which therefore may be genuine Saxon. Chancel arch and porch about 1300 probably also bases of walls. Remainder of church remodelled in 15th century. Remarkable Georgian nave interior with pews, pulpit and archway. Several 13th/14th century coffin slabs in graveyard, one dug up in 2003. Very fine 18th century tombstones in chancel.
See report (S2) and photographs (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 January 2004.
Winter 2017. Survey
The plate tracery of the bell openings and the random flintwork (as oppsosed to coursed) points to a mid 13th century date as does the sunken trefoil in east bell opening tympanum. The most important and rare aspect of this church is the chancel arch with its decorated soffit of undercut foliage. This would have crowned the rood on the screen. Such treatment is extremely rare. (for further information see (S4)
S.Heywood (HES), 10 January 2018.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7416 G,H. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Publication: Stilgoe, E.M.. 1993. The Church of St Mary, East Walton. |
|---||Photograph: Nicholas Warns Architect Ltd. 2003. East Walton Tower Roof August 2003.. |
|---||Photograph: Nicholas Warns Architect Ltd. 2004. East Walton 21 January 2004. Brass in nave floor.. |
|---||Unpublished Document: 1997. Lynn News. 23 January 1997. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 325-326. |
|---||Leaflet: The Church of St. Mary, East Walton.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1997. Radied church is set to close doors. 23 January. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077667. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2004. KPB. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Report: S. Heywood. 2018. St Mary, East Walton, CoBRAR. Conservation-based Research and Analysis Report (COBRAR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...