|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman ditches and multi-period finds|
Investigations of this area from the 1970s to the 1990s recovered a large number of objects. Finds included a Neolithic flint knife, three Iron Age Iceni coins, Roman brooches and coins, possible Early Saxon pottery, a Middle Saxon pin, a Late Saxon strap fitting and stirrup-strap mount, a medieval French jetton and a post medieval coin of Henry VIII. In addition, a number of V-shaped Roman have been noted on site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||EAST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Roman site - ditches, some pottery and animal bone - date?
Information from member of the public .
1983 to 1984.
Scatter of Roman coarseware, medieval Grimston glazed and non Grimston unglazed body sherds, three sherds Thetford type ware.
Identified by A. Gregory (NAU), 20 February 1984.
One sherd Nene Valley ware, Early Saxon sherds and iron smelting slag. Not known if these were found after finds noted above, not seen by NAU.
E. Rose (NAU), 20 March 1984.
Further details on 1974 finds.
Disturbances including Roman V-shaped ditches revealed by North Sea Gas trench in 1967.
Finds included domestic refuse, a Roman grey cooking pot sherd from one ditch and, from the surface, probable 3rd century Roman sherds.
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 27 February 1990.
November 1991. Metal detecting.
Neolithic, Iron Age, Roman, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon, medieval finds.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 19 November 1991.
February 1992. Metal detecting.
Two Icenian silver coins (see list in file). Polaroid (S3).
Identified by J. A. Davies (NCM), 26 February 1992.
Part of large scatter NHER 29273.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- KNIFE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- PIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Margeson, S. 1980-1996. S. Margeson's personal notes on individual finds. Find Description Notes. |
|---||Photograph: GYJ 4-6. |
|---||Correspondence: Williams, D. 1995. Correspondence between D. Williams and S. Margeson regarding Late Saxon stirrup-strap mounts. 10, 22 and 31 August. |
|---||Monograph: Williams, D. 1997. Late Saxon stirrup-strap mounts. A classification and catalogue. A contribution to the study of Late Saxon ornamental metalwork.. CBA Research Report. No. 111. No 115; p 45. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Walton (East). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Serial: 1967. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1967. No 14. p 9. |
|<S1>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Records / Pastscape. |
|<S3>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|29273||Part of: Possible Roman, Middle Saxon and Late Saxon settlement and multi-period finds (Monument)|
Find out more...