Record Details

NHER Number:3637
Type of record:Monument
Name:Neolithic long barrow on Harpley Common


This Neolithic long barrow is visible as an oval mound 1.2m high and 31m long by 23m wide. This is part of a larger mound that has been destroyed by ploughing and the construction of the Harpley to Weasenham St Peter road. The mound is surrounded by a ditch about 4.5m wide. The ditch is now infilled.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8093 2510
Map Sheet:TF82NW

Full description

Long barrow, ploughed down.

Oval in plan 9.15m (30 yards) long x 18.28m (20 yards) wide, and around 1.2m (4 feet) high. Much disturbed by rabbits, flakes on surface, marked on (S1).
A.Q. Watson, 1935.

30 Janaury 1955. Ploughed up.
Concentration of calcined flints.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Sherd. Very small piece of plain rim, probably Windmill Hill.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

1961. Found on ploughed down long barrow.
Two flint flakes.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Measured as 53.37m (175 feet) long 23.79m (78 feet) wide and 1.2m (4 feet) high. Long axis 175 degrees magnetic north.
R.R. Clarke (NCM) and members of the NRC.

'Slight signs of Fosse'. Pottery and flints found (see below).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

13 May 1978.
Nine flint flakes and tools found by Prehistoric Society outing.
A.J. Lawson.

Scheduled monument 269 formerly included both this site and NHER 3638, see (S2).
Revised schedule 1995 corrects the alignment of the scheduled area of the long barrow but does not mention NHER 3638.
Information from (S3) and (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 17 February 1995.

February 2010.
Section 17 agreement renewed.
See (S5)
D. Robertson (NLA), 11 August 2010.

Monument Types

  • BURNT MOUND (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LONG BARROW (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Management Statement

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HT, CXZ 1-2.
---Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. pp 419- 420.
---Article in Serial: Sainty J. E., Watson, A. Q. and Clarke, R. R. 1938. The First Norfolk Long Barrow. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVI Pt III pp 315-329. p 317.
---Serial: 1958. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries. Vol 5. p 3.
---Monograph: Ashbee, P.. 1970. The earthen long barrow in Britain: an introduction to the study of the funerary practice and culture of the Neolithic people of the third millennium B.C. p 170.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 NW 6.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Paterson, H. (A&E). Norfolk Ancient Monuments Management Project Site Form.
---Unpublished Document: R.R. Clarke and J.R.C. Hamilton. 1958. Letters. Harpley Long Barrow Scheduling..
---Unpublished Document: NAU. 1972. Harpley Long Barrow..
---Monograph: Lawson, A. J., Martin, E., Priddy, D. and Taylor, A. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. East Anglian Archaeology. No 12. p 21.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Harpley [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF127.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. Scheduling Report.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF127.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF127.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2009-2010. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service