Record Details

NHER Number:3605
Type of record:Building
Name:Congham Hall


Congham Hall was built between 1794 and 1812 and was extended in 1838 to 1890 and in 1946 house. In 1934 a medieval cross was recorded in the grounds. This originally came from Roydon. The hall is now a hotel.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7109 2286
Map Sheet:TF72SW

Full description

Described by (S1) as early 19th century. In 1934 (S2) noted a medieval cross here originally at Roydon and had stood for a time at North Wootton.
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.

Formerly called Congham House.
(S3) dates house to 1794-1812, extended 1838-1890 and 1946, now a hotel.
See (S4) 1989.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 January 1990.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 270.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Congham Hall for sale as owners to retire. 11 September.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 124.
<S2>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 323.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. Vol 2.

Related records

31969Parent of: Congham Hall Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service