Record Details

NHER Number:33360
Type of record:Monument
Name:Corn Hall

Summary

Site of the post medieval market cross and sessions house that was built in 1650 and demolished around 1790. The Cornhall was built on the site in 1855. It was used as a World War Two Home Guard Lookout and there is a possible tank trap nearby. The plinth of a nearby statue was used as a 'defensive position'.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9189 2965
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Corn Hall Site.
Site of market cross and sessions house. Built around 1650 demolished in 1790s and replaced by Cage. Corn Hall built on site in 1855. Building does not appear to be of archaeological importance. It supported a Home Guard Lookout in World War Two.
Information from (S1).
It is said locally that there is a number painted on a bank nearby that refers to a tank trap, perhaps associated with this lookout.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 January 1998.

(S2) in file of a 'defensive position' disguised as a plinth of a statue that existed at the east end of this site during World War Two.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • COURT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MARKET CROSS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PRISON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • OBSERVATION POST (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • TANK TRAP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 459.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Town seeking the return of its missing dome. 27 May. & photo.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 2000. No beating the bush…. 25 January.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Corn hall complex bid. 23 June.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Vision of new dawn for hub of town life. 2 January. & photo.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1990. Photo found at last. 2 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service