Record Details

NHER Number:332
Type of record:Building
Name:Norwich Thorpe Station, Thorpe Road


Norwich originally had three stations: the Thorpe Station discussed here which opened in 1844, the Norwich Victoria Station (NHER 13578) which opened in 1849 and closed in 1916, and the Norwich City Station (NHER ) which opened in the early 1880's and closed to passengers in 1959. The original 1844 Thorpe terminus stood to the south of the present building, which dates to 1886. Constructed of red brick and stucco, the station has recently been thoroughly cleaned and restored, and sits on a prime site overlooking the river and the main road up to Norwich Castle (NHER 429).

Norwich Thorpe Station had an Italianate office block, which was demolished in the 1920s, and an iron train shed which stood until the 1980s, when it was removed and given to the North Norfolk Railway. The original 1844 engine sheds were demolished February 1994.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23891 08330
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Round barrow previously recorded under this number now NHER 39358.

Railway Station. 1886 John Wilson.
Red brick and stucco. Slate and lead roofs. Ironwork and glass concourse.
The central bay is higher with imposing dome.
See (S1) for further details.
Compiled by O. Beazley.

The listing gives the architect as John Wilson but in ref (S2) it is given as W. N. Ashbee, the GER architect who designed the contemporary extension to London Liverpool Street and Wolferton station (NHER 13591 context 1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 19 October 1998

The original 1844 terminus stood to the south of the present building.
It had an Italianate office block demolished in the 1920s.
Its iron train shed stood until the 1980s when it was removed and given to the North Norfolk Railway.
The 1844 engine sheds were demolished February 1994. See (S3).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 10 February 1994.

S. Woodward, map of AD 1050 shows raised bank near river near Thorpe Station, thought it Danish.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).

See file for further details.

See Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society fiche for further details.

There is said to be a Second World War Railway Emergency Control Room here; an adapted tunnel rather than something purpose built (S4). According to (S5), "Norwich District Council found a convenient rampart near Thorpe Station" for this. According to (S6), in 1938 £1300 was spent on a new building and £1630 on electrical equipment.
D. Gurney (HES), 08 January 2014.

Further information suggests that the WW2 control room was a building that stood to the right of the entrance, in front of the building now used for signing in by drivers and conductors. It was demolished in the 1990s. See digital file and photo.
D. Gurney (HES), 24 January 2014.

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RAILWAY TRANSPORT SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CONTROL ROOM (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Harrod, H.. 1859. Notice of Excavations Made at Burgh Castle, Suffolk, in the Years 1850 and 1855. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol V pp 146-160. p 148.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1998. TG 2307Z - AC.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 334; Pl 104.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. [Articles on the movement, repaired and restoration of workshed from the Old Norwich City Station].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995-1998. [Articles on the redevelopment of Norwich Thorpe Station].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Better times ahead for rail station. 28 November.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Loco yard at standstill as rail strike took grip. 30 April.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Photograph of Norwich Thorpe Station. 4 May.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Eye-catching shine for city skyline. 28 August.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Recognise this landmark?. 30 May.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. £2m facelift begins on station. 19 January.
---Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. p 155.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Opening a window on despicable crimes. 30 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Norfolk's spooky past. 27 October.
---Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Hidden cost of station facelift. 26 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Serious work is about to start on turning Norwich's Riverside into a lively new quarter of the city. 30 July.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Station remnants saved. 21 October.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051837.
<S2>Monograph: Jackson, A.A.. 1969. London's Termini..
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Dismay as steam age history is bulldozed. 11 February.
<S4>*Verbal Communication: Paul Francis. 2014. Verbal communication.
<S5>Publication: Norman Grump. 1947. By Rail to Victory - The Story of the LNER in Wartime.
<S6>Documentary Source: 1938. TNA 08-06-38.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service