|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Trinity or Howard Hospital post medieval almshouses|
These early 17th century almshouses are a single storey brick quadrangle with a pantile roof. The entrance to the building is under a gable framed by two towers and two chimneystacks. In one of these towers is an original panelled room, and the treasury chest. Across the courtyard is a chapel dated to around 1870 and behind this the hall and the governesses' quarters.
|Grid Reference:||TF 6669 2487|
|Parish:||CASTLE RISING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 1976. Visit.
Trinity or Howard Hospital (almshouse).
Early 17th century, before 1614. Single storey quadrangle of brick, irregular bond, and pantile roof: but entrance is under gable framed by two towers, all of same height, and whole framed again by two chimneystacks. Original door leads to entrance with large bell. In one tower is original panelled room, and the treasury chest. Opposite across the courtyard is the chapel, twice rebuilt (lastly around 1870) which projects; it has some 17th century pews and chairs; also a cross and candlesticks by Voysey around 1894. The Hall next to it has also original tables, benches, chairs and cupboards. Interiors of dwellings modernised. Behind are ?19th century coal stores,to be demolished.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 May 1976.
- ALMSHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. The owe it to Henry. 3 March. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 62 SE 27 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 254. |
|---||Monograph: Castle Rising History Group. 2010. The Ancient Borough of Castle Rising: from prehistory to the present day.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Castle Rising. |
Related records - none
Find out more...