Record Details

NHER Number:3306
Type of record:Monument
Name:Late Saxon and medieval mint (Castle Rising, poorly located)


Danish imitation coins inscribed ROISENG may indicate the presence of a mint here around AD 885. Later coins minted by Stephen in 1141 inscribed RISINGES suggest there was a mint here. In 1154 it is recorded there were two moneyers in the parish.

Images - none



Full description

Danish imitation of London penny of Alfred the Great. Has a variant of the monogram that has been read ROISENG (for Castle Rising?) ?a mint (after around AD 885).
See (S1).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Mint .
1141. Under Stephen (RISINGES)
1154. Two moneyers.
The mints of Rye and Castle Rising in the reign of Stephen.
See (S2) and (S3).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Monument Types

  • MINT (Late Saxon to 12th Century - 885 AD to 1154 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Article in Serial: Mack, R.P.. 1966. Stephen and the Anarchy 1135-1154.. British Numismatic Journal. pp 38-172.
---Article in Serial: Montagu, H.. 1889. The Mint at Castle Rising.. Numismatic Chronicle. Vol 9, 3rd series, pp 335-43.
---Monograph: Castle Rising History Group. 2010. The Ancient Borough of Castle Rising: from prehistory to the present day..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Castle Rising.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Castle Rising.
<S1>Monograph: Dolley, Blunt. 1961. Anglo-Saxon coins: studies presented to F.M. Stenton on the occasion of his 80th birthday.. p 90, plate X.
<S2>Article in Serial: Andrew, W.J.. 1929-30. [unknown]. British Numismatic Journal. 2 series, Vol X, pp 117-121.
<S3>Monograph: Brooke, G.C.. 1932. English Coins from the seventh century to the present day.. pp 97, 47, 91.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service