Record Details

NHER Number:3279
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval watermill


This is the site of a watermill. The mill has now been demolished and only one 18th century brick shed remains. This shed was probably a store building. A brick bridge still crosses the river at this point. The mill house dates to the 18th century and was refaced in the 19th century. The mill is marked as a corn mill on a map of 1588 and a flour mill on another dated to 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6769 2510
Map Sheet:TF62NE

Full description

June 1977. Visit.
Watermill. Demolished. One brick shed remains, apparently 18th century and probably a store building: now in ruins. Brick bridge still crosses river. Mill house seems 18th century, refaced 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 June 1977.

'Rising flour mill' on (S1). Rising Corn Mill on (S2).
E. Rose.

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: 1588. Castle Rising Chase.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service