Record Details

NHER Number:3239
Type of record:Building
Name:St Maurice's Church, Briningham


An unusual church, consisting of nave, chancel, south west porch tower (instead of the usual west tower) and north vestry. It is built of flint and brick, with stone surrounds, and has a pantiled roof. Most of the church dates from the 13th and 14th centuries, although the north wall is earlier, probably Norman. The windows are mainly 15th century. Inside, there is a 14th century font and the remains, partly destroyed, of a bell frame of about 1300. The churchyard has interesting gravestones, including one in the shape of a pyramid, topped with the head of a muzzled bear.


  • Memorial to the Brereton family depicting the family crest, the muzzled bear, in the churchyard of the Church of St Maurice, Briningham  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0387 3439
Map Sheet:TG03SW

Full description

Unusual church with evidence of Norman work. Mostly of three periods of late 13th to mid 14th century construction, including southwest porch tower originally linked, now half within nave. 15th century windows, 19th century roof. Remains of bell frame about 1300. Good churchyard monuments including pyramid (listed grade II). (S1).
Report (S2), correspondence (S3) and photographs (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 June 1988.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xbell frame (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0334A, B,.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 25-28.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 413.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049422 and 1373674.
<S2>Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1991. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Correspondence: Cattermole, P.. 1988. Letter to Mrs Barkway.. 26 October.
<S4>Photograph: EGM 12-19.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service