|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Briningham House, Briningham|
Sometimes known as the Hall. A great house built in 1838 on new ground. Broadly cube shaped, it is two storeys high, with three window bays at the front and five bays on the sides. The front of the house has a stone porch with Doric columns. There is a two storey service wing to the west.
Internally, there is an ornate oak staircase that is said to be 18th century. If this is so, it may have been taken from an older property elsewhere.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0357 3427|
|Parish:||BRININGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Sometimes known as the Hall. Built in 1838 'on a ploughed field' according to (S1).
(S2) describes as Greek Revival, gault brick and slate roof. Four square cube of two storeys with three bay front and five bay return. Entrance front has doubled end pilasters and single pilasters to central bay. Two ground floor and three first floor sashes. Stone porch with 'unfluted Greek Doric columns' (surely this makes them Roman Doric?).
Garden front has five sashes, double end pilasters, single pilasters to central bay. Prominent with cornice missing above pilaster capitals. Hipped roof with redge stacks. Two bay two storey west service wing. Large oak staircase, twisted balusters, very ornate; described as mid 18th century (so inserted from elsewhere?).
E. Rose (NAU) 12 December 1984.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 413. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 172. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170582. |
Related records - none
Find out more...