Record Details

NHER Number:3167
Type of record:Building
Name:Heydon Hall, Saxlingham


Heydon Hall was built in about 1550 by the Heydon family (their coat of arms appears above a porch doorway). A tiled floor, possibly 16th century, was found during excavations in the 1980s. Building material from a religious building appears to have been used in the construction of the hall, which may originally have been surrounded by a moat. A wing was added in the late 17th century. The whole building was ruined as the result of a fire in 1900/1901. In the mid 1980s the building was restored, although the 17th century wing was demolished. A 10th century strap fitting has been found in the grounds.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0269 3965
Map Sheet:TG03NW

Full description

Hall of about 1550 with porch and windows.
South wing possibly late 17th century with reused material including medieval stonework probably from church. Formerly moated?

1980. Building recording and excavation.
Nothing visible dating to before 16th century. Two main wings at right angles, L-shaped. Outbuildings and walled courtyard. Porch features arms of Heydon family. Flint and brick walls. Destroyed by fire in 1900.
Boggy ground to north may indicate location of infilled moat (if so infilled before early 19th century).
Excavation revealed tiled screens passage pavement (red, green, blue and yellow tiles), flint wall, mortar floors, stonework including a fireplace corbel, 19th century pammet floor, well, base of a fireplace etc.
For full details see report (S1) in file.

July 1985. Further excavations before restoration.
Revealed large quantities of reused ?monastic masonry.
See (S2 and S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 9 July 1985.

See file for reports (S1, S2 and S3), correspondance, photographs (S4), architects plans (S5) and press cuttings (S6). Publications in Norfolk Archaeology (S7 and S8)

1985 to 1987.
One wing totally demolished. Rest of Hall restored and new house built.
The fire may have taken place in 1901.
See (S7).
D. Robertson (NLA), 25 November 2005.

July 1989. Northeast of Heydon Hall, Saxlingham. Context 2 at 0275 0967.
Openwork copper alloy strap end base fragment. 10th century Winchester style animal and ?filigree decoration (and ring and dot).
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NAU), 8 September 1989.

Monument Types

  • WELL (Undated)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HEARTH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DRESS COMPONENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 198.
---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF21.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 03 NW 2.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 657.
---Designation: Ministry of Works. Schedule Report.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Field Dalling.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1982. Saxlingham Place or Heydon Hall, Saxlingham. A Description and the Results of some Recent Excavations.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. reliminary Report on 1985 investigations at Heydon Hall, Saxlingham, Norfolk..
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Further discoveries at Heydon Hall, Saxlingham.
<S4>Photograph: BZY 21-31, BPF 22-26, BMG 7-8, CPM CSD 8-15, FHH 31-221.
<S5>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Two conversions win top awards. 9 September.
<S7>Article in Serial: Rose, E. J. 1983. Saxlingham Place or Heydon Hall, Saxlingham. A Description and the Results of some Recent Excavations. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt III pp 336-343.
<S8>Article in Serial: Rose, E. J. 1987. Further Discoveries at Heydon Hall, Saxlingham. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XL Pt I pp 93-100.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service