|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period metal object scatter|
Metal detecting at this location from 1994-2006 recovered an interesting group of artefacts. These comprised, amongst others, an early post medieval discoidal harness mount with star decoration, a medieval gilded bronze buckle and an Iron Age bull's head vessel mount.
|Grid Reference:||TM 02 88|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1994. Metal detector finds from location .
Early post medieval discoidal harness mount, pelleted border, open star in centre and two spikes on reverse. At location .
Post medieval buckle from location .
13th century gilded bronze buckle, three transverse grooves on frame. Found at location .
W. Milligan (NCM) 21 March 1994.
May 2004. Metal-detecting.
PAS details to follow.
Site extended to the whole field. Previous extent recorded as Context 1.
E. McDonald (HES), 11 February 2017.
Before 10 May 2005. Metal detecting. Site extended.
Three medieval coins. Post medieval token.
Middle Saxon, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 2 September 2005.
Before 25 April 2006. Metal detecting.
Iron Age bull's head vessel mount, (S1).
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 4 October 2006.
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to 19th Century - 800 BC to 1900 AD)
- VESSEL (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- STRAP END (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD to 1065 AD)
- EAR RING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINGER RING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PURSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2006. Drawing of an Iron Age bull's head vessel mount.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...