Record Details

NHER Number:31187
Type of record:Monument
Name:Filby Dissenters Chapel


This is the site of an early Dissenters chapel, which was built in about 1705. The chapel was damaged by a bomb in 1940, and demolished.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4646 1300
Map Sheet:TG41SE

Full description

Unitarian Chapel 1705 to about 1940.
Chapel (site of), graveyard with gravestones cleared and tidied 1991 to 1992, walls and floor revealed by limited excavation.
The chapel was badly damaged by a bomb in 1940, and subsequently demolished.
See (S1) and (S2).
D. Gurney (NLA) 20 February 1995.

In the later 19th century the chapel was rebuilt in a cheaper and smaller form on the eastern third of the original site, utilising some of the foundations and possibly some of the walling.
See (S3) for further details, including a floor plan and details of monuments.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 19 September 2012.

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (18th Century to 21st Century - 1705 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1706 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1706 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNITARIAN CHAPEL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1706 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Tooke, C.. 1991. Filby Unitarian Chapel. CBA Group VI Bulletin. No 35 pp 58-60.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Tooke, C. and Saul, J. 1997. Filby Dissenters Chapel 1705-1940.
<S2>Article in Serial: Tooke, C.. 1995. Filby Unitarian Chapel.. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp 44ff.
<S3>Monograph: Stell, C. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp 239-240.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service